Dec 13, 2021 Holiday Decorations: Six Steps to Store and Organize
Between October and the start of the new year, we get into a state of Decoration Delirium. We are either putting something up or taking it down. So many holiday decorations, so little space! That’s why the organization experts at Closets by Design are ready to reveal ideas to keep all those holiday trimmings under control AND the best spot to store them.
Dos and Don’ts to Keep Holiday Decorations Under Control
#1 – Decide Before You Buy
When buying holiday decorations, ask yourself this question: “where am I going to put this when the holidays are over?” Decide where you will store the items before you buy it.
#2 – Holiday Decoration Deja Vu
Using your decorations for several holidays will not only cut down on your holiday storage, but it will also save you money and ensure that you get to use your holiday decor more than once a year.
For example, a plain red vase could be used for Christmas, Valentine’s Day, and the Fourth of July. Try to purchase multi-use items instead of a red vase that’s covered in Christmas tree patterns that can only be used once a year.
#3 – Sneaky Swaps
What everyday items can you make a few tweaks to and use for the next holiday? For example, instead of buying Christmas-themed pillows, cover your regular pillows with holiday slipcovers.
#4 – Be Transparent
While storage containers come in a variety of cool colors, it is best to stick with transparent containers. This way you can easily see what is inside each box without having to open them. It will save you time and a potential mess.
#5 – Holiday Decoration Donation
When you pull out your holiday decorations for the season, go through them and get rid of what you no longer want. You can donate them to a thrift store. There’s no use continuing to store things you never use!
#6 – Smart Storage For Your Holiday Decorations
An attic or basement (if you have one or both) seems like the likeliest spot to store seasonal decorations, but it is not. Holiday decorations can be heavy and cumbersome which is not ideal if you are lugging all this stuff up and down stairs.
The garage is your best bet. It is usually level with the house so there are no stairs to climb. The space can be optimized to hold all your holiday décor and still have room for your car!
- One of the best bets to store holiday decorations is a customizable garage wall storage system.
- For example, if you have lots of holiday decorations stored in clear plastic bins, you can include large adjustable shelves or cubbyholes that will fit all your variously sized containers.
- Just stacking bins on top of one another is a bad idea. The plastic deteriorates over time, can crack, and collapse – potentially damaging your holiday heirlooms.
- Garage cabinets are a storage classic. They hide away the clutter behind closed doors, so everything is out of sight, out of mind and your décor stays dirt and dust free.
- Cabinets can also be custom fitted with interior features like slots, hooks, and clips that secure your holiday decorations.
Design your Perfect Holiday Decoration Storage Space
Closets by Design can help you find the perfect place to store all your precious holiday decorations. Our designers will meet with you to discuss your storage needs. We will custom design a piece that will keep your holiday trimmings safe, secure, and organized. Schedule your free in-home consultation to get started today.