Aug 13, 2014 How to Stop Custom Closet Design from Becoming a DIY Nightmare
There is a great feeling of accomplishment in doing a home improvement task well, but before you decide to DIY any closet project, be sure you understand what it entails. For instance, the list of tools below are essential to great installation. Do you recognize each of these items and know how to use them?
- Cordless drill
- Circular saw
- Phillips screwdriver
- Tube cutter
- Screw-in wall anchors
- Wood putty
Even if you pass the tool test, there is the not so easy “easy-to-follow instructions” to deal with. Not everyone can follow written instructions and the visuals are not always self-explanatory. One man’s (or woman’s) “easy” can be another man’s “say, what?”
The Closet of Your Dreams Could Become a Nightmare
It’s true that some do-it-yourself projects are designed for successful completion by non-professionals, but a DIY closet system can be very challenging. Despite what is advertised, wall hung systems are not as easy as hammer and nail installation and can be very unstable if not installed correctly. The DIY systems are often still a sizable financial investment and if you want the finished product to add value and beauty to your home closet system installation might best be accomplished by pros that do this work every day.
Typical installation for a standard size closet requires a level of proficiency with home improvement projects above the beginner level. The efficiency and proficiency of professionals is likely to save you time, money and aggravation.
If you are planning to design and install a closet system yourself you might also want to consider these potentially costly variables:
- Needing to buy tools you don’t already own adds expense
- Taking incorrect measurements–pieces won’t fit due to sloping floors or irregular walls
- Having to redo or replace something damaged or broken adds additional time and expense
- Wall-hung units can eventually come down if not installed correctly
- Standardized sizes for DIY units don’t provide flexibility for best use of space
- Fewer options for colors, styles and extra touches
- Ordered pieces can be damaged in shipping or be missing parts
- Installation takes longer than by the professionals
- Limited warranties on DIY systems
- If the home store discontinues the unit you purchase there’s no way to get replacement parts or additional features added easily
Closets by Design Professionals Can Guarantee Success
At Closets by Design, this is who we are and what we do! We design, build and install customized closets and other storage systems to meet your needs whether that involves unusual closet configuration (like under stairs or a slanted roof), obstacles to work around, or unique storage requirements.
Our goal is to simplify your life by creating the most efficient top-to-bottom organization that makes the best use of your space. With a wide selection of finishes, accessories and hardware (crown molding, drawers, glass inset doors, shoe racks) you will get the customized look you’ve dreamed of.
With our professionals, you have the assurance that the job will be done correctly, on schedule and on budget. Closets by Design offers:
- A reputation of integrity in customer service and total customer satisfaction since 1982
- No obligation in-home consultation
- Custom tailored designs to meet your unique needs
- Highest quality product construction in our own factory
- An installation team that installs the units quickly and neatly
- Our own Closets by Design employees, we never use outside subcontractors
- Easy to add additional features and accessories after installation
- Custom storage systems that enhance the value of your home
So before you decide to build your own closet or storage unit, carefully weigh the pros and cons to ensure you make the best decision for investment of your time, money and home value.
To schedule a free, no obligation in-home consultation, please complete our online request form or call us at 1-888-500-9215.